[texdoc] texdoc and man pages

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Thu Oct 16 13:55:50 CEST 2008

> yes, texdoc finds too much indeed currently.  Maybe you could look at
> http:/tug.org/~kotucha/read-lsr.tlu.gz again.  The approach is quite
> different, here only files with particular extensions are searched.

This is already the approach used by texdoc, you probably only changed
the set of extensions searched, which can already be done in texdoc.cnf.
Please please do read the current code and/or ask questions about how it
works before rewriting stuff form scratch.

Could we please proceed in the following way ?
1. decide what should be done
2. then and only then, write code for it
Here step 1 is the hard part, not step 2.

> One might claim that READMEs are not found but I don't think that it's
> really necessary.

Random example: texdoc pax.

I you want to talk about actual file names and locations, I think files
such as Makefile's have nothing to do in the doc/ tree and we sould care
about it in ctan2tds or such.

> Heiko explained in detail why the user manual cannot be called
> "hyperref.pdf".  The problem seemed to be unsolvable.  However, if you
> run "texdoc hyperref" nowadays you'll see that Heiko solved this
> problem brilliantly.

As you're certainly aware, we cannot expect every single author to be as
responsive as Heiko.

I'll answer to the rest later, need more time to think about it.

Manuel.