[texdoc] texdoc pdftex

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Sat Dec 20 14:32:18 CET 2008

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard a écrit :
> Reinhard Kotucha a écrit :
>> Karl Berry writes:
>>  > Hi Manuel -- I suggest texdoc pdftex be special-cased to pdftex-a.pdf,
>>  > instead of bringing up the man page.

Done. Actually, there were already aliases

alias etex-ref = etex_man
alias pdftex-ref = pdftex-a
alias luatex-ref = luatexref-t

so just adding -ref to the name brought up the user manual. I now added

alias etex = etex_man
alias pdftex = pdftex_a
alias luatex = luatexref-t

thought I'm don't like this very much, since it "hides" the man pages.

> Nope, you're no the only one. I have plans to change that, just no time
> to do it atm. I'll probably have more time in two weeks when I'll be
> done with my teaching-related tasks.

Well, I already checked how many conflicts there are with manpages, and
if I checked it correctly, there are 185 of them. So I will follow
Reinhard suggestion and change the man->pdf makefile in order to produce
XXX.1.pdf instead of XXX.pdf. (The list is attached in case you're
interested.)

Then my ideas are to change texdoc's search routine in order to look for
XXX.1 and XXX.5 as well as for XXX when XXX is asked. This way, man
pages will also be found, but without "hiding" other pages. Then I may
check in the sort routine and give low priority to man pages.

>>    texdoc info: vntex aliased to vntex.txt
>>
>> Why is an alias needed at all???  I just asked for "vntex".

Removed, as well as all similarly useless aliases. Thanks for noticing.

>> texdoc is currrently as unmaintanable as texdoctk.  It depends on
>> table lookups instead of algorithms, which is always wrong, IMO.
>>
> I don't agree with that, but I won't discuss this today, no time.

To be a bit more explicit, without entering a lengthy discussion: I
don't believe we can solve all the doc-finding problems in a purely
algorithmic way, since we can't rely on any file naming convention. So
some table lookup will always be necessary, and we shouldn't be afraid
of them. The points are:

- Use algorithmic methods when we can, and for the man pages you're
right, it's a perfect case for an algorithmic method since we control
(part of) the file names.

- Make the "database" maintenable. In this respect, I do think
texdoc.cnf is much more maintenable than the old texdoctk.dat: it
contains less information, and at least no redundant information.

Manuel.