[tex4ht] [bug #618] Incomplete XML Document, domfilter error, truncated build on large file.

William F Hammond gellmu at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 05:16:10 CET 2023

Hi Karl!

You write:

Hi Nasser - it turns out the problem is simple: DVI format only supports
65,536 pages -- the postamble item that reports the total number of
pages is two bytes (t[2] as shown on for example, page 12 of
dvitype.pdf).

How does dvitype know the actual number of pages?

I've never thought much about TeX, the program.  I assume that some variant
(luatex, was it?) of that program decided to write pgs mod 2^16 in the
postamble item when pgs >= 2^16 rather write (2^16)-1 -- or perhaps 0 for
"ignore me" -- and yell loudly.   Is that a feature?  :-)

What would groff, which also can write DVI, have done with a document
having more than 2^16 pages?

         -- Bill

William F Hammond
Email: gellmu at gmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/william.f.hammond
http://www.albany.edu/~hammond/

𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝒕𝒊𝒎𝒆 𝒕𝒐 𝒔𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒂 𝒅𝒆𝒎𝒐𝒄𝒓𝒂𝒄𝒚 𝒊𝒔 𝒃𝒆𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒆 𝒊𝒕
𝒊𝒔 𝒍𝒐𝒔𝒕.   -- 𝐊𝐞𝐧 𝐁𝐮𝐫𝐧𝐬