[tex4ht] Can one use tex4ht log file to check if more runs are needed?

Nasser M. Abbasi nma at 12000.org
Mon Dec 4 14:25:31 CET 2023

On 12/4/2023 5:29 AM, Michal Hoftich wrote:
> Hi Nasser,
>
>> My question here is this: Could I use similar method
>> for tex4ht and just check the tex4ht log file for messages?
>>
>> This is easier for me to do, since I can use the same
>> "grep -E" command.
>
> TeX4ht on its own doesn't produce such messages, AFAIK. The method
> with log checking should be safer.

Hello Michal. I am little confused. You say tex4ht does not generate
such messages, but then you say log checking is safer.

Can I check for same messages when compiling with tex4ht as
I do with lulatex? This is my question.

>Also the rerunfilecheck package is
> also based on checksums of temporary files, so it should work
> similarly.

I do not want to use rerunfilecheck package as I do not understand it.

I just want a simple method, which is to to check myself for messages
in the log file, that is why I asked.

I assumed tex4ht generates its own messages different
from lualatex to indicate more runs are needed or not.

Ofcourse, I can try and find out, but the problem is that it is hard to
know by looking at the HTML pages sometimes if the build was
complete or not.

I am asking all this, because one build with tex4ht
takes 24 and more hours on some of my large files and was
wondering if it is calling tex4ht more times than needed.

> Best,
> Michal

Thanks