[tex4ht] [bug #616] \downarrow is not centered in table when using tex4ht with column type centered paragraph

Nasser M. Abbasi puszcza-hackers at gnu.org.ua
Wed Nov 22 09:45:13 CET 2023

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
        Originator Email:
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

reference and screen shot at

https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/701975/downarrow-is-not-centered-in-table-when-using-tex4ht-with-column-type-centered

I am making a table, with one column. The table is centered. The column type
is centered paragraph.

I am using \downarrow for annotation between each row to indicate
transformation made.

In pdf, everything is centered. But in HTML, the math is centered, but the
arrows are not. This happens only when I use column type as centered
paragraph. If I use just c, then the arrows are centered.

But I have to use centered paragraph and not c for column type, because I am
using displayed math in table, which needs paragraph. I am using displayed
math because the math is little larger and easier to read.

Here is an example that works same way in PDF and HTML, which using c. Then
below that I show an example which does not work in HTML when I change the
column type to centered paragraph

-----------------
\documentclass[12pt,oneside]{book}

%added nov 23, 2023 to enlarge vertical arrow.
%https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/213811/how-to-elongate-down-arrow
\newcommand{\xdownarrow}[1]{%
  {\left\downarrow\vbox to #1{}\right.\kern-\nulldelimiterspace}
}
\usepackage{amsmath}

\begin{document}

\begin{table}
\centering
\begin{tabular}{c}
$\int \frac{e^{x+e^x} \left(e^x+1\right)}{x+e^x} \, dx$\\
$\Big\downarrow$ 7258\\
$\int \frac{e^{x+e^x}}{x+e^x}d\left(x+e^x\right)$\\
$\Big\downarrow$ 2609\\
$\operatorname{ExpIntegralEi}\left(x+e^x\right)$
\end{tabular}
\end{table}
\end{document}
-----------------------

Compiling with lualatex and with tex4ht using

make4ht -ulm default -a debug foo.tex "mathjax,htm,nostyle"

Output is similar. good. arrows are centered as well as table and math.

enter image description here

Now I modified the MWE to using column type centered paragraph so I can use
display math

---------------------------
\documentclass[12pt,oneside]{book}
%added nov 23, 2023 to enlarge vertical arrow.
%https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/213811/how-to-elongate-down-arrow
\newcommand{\xdownarrow}[1]{%
  {\left\downarrow\vbox to #1{}\right.\kern-\nulldelimiterspace}
}

\usepackage{array}
%see
https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/12703/how-to-create-fixed-width-table-columns-with-text-raggedright-centered-raggedlef
\newcolumntype{C}[1]{>{\centering\let\newline\\\arraybackslash\hspace{0pt}}m{#1}}

\usepackage{amsmath}

\begin{document}

\begin{table}
\centering
\begin{tabular}{C{\textwidth}}
$\displaystyle \int \frac{e^{x+e^x} \left(e^x+1\right)}{x+e^x} \, dx$\\
$\Big\downarrow$ 7258\\
$\displaystyle \int \frac{e^{x+e^x}}{x+e^x}d\left(x+e^x\right)$\\
$\Big\downarrow$ 2609\\
$\displaystyle \operatorname{ExpIntegralEi}\left(x+e^x\right)$
\end{tabular}
\end{table}
\end{document}

Now lualatex gives

enter image description here

But tex4ht gives using same command as above this:

enter image description here

The arrows for some reason no longer are centered like in PDF.

Is there an easy workaround for this?

TL 2023 updated about 2 months ago.