[tex4ht] tex4ht with opentype fonts support

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed Sep 27 00:54:14 CEST 2023

Hi Linas - well, this is quite a big topic.

    xdvipsk will be added to the next texlive version

It will? I haven't heard that was in the works. I know about xdvipsk
(amazing work) since your article about it some years ago, but not about
integrating it into TL. I did see you made some updates to the srouce
tree recently for TL23.

Anyway, it would be great to have it. In that regard, the first question
in my mind is: does your xdvipsk have any new library or compiler
dependencies? Those are the things most likely to cause problems.

Have you written the autotools stuff to incorporate it in the TL build?

Anyway, given that this is the plan, the sooner we can get it into the
TL build tree, the better. Not something we want to leave until the last
minute.  When you're ready, can you please make a patch against the
current TL Build/ tree with your stuff, so I can see what we're talking
about? (Not the TL23 released sources. There have been plenty of changes
since then, though nothing that should particularly affect you, I think.)

I guess I wonder about a more descriptive name than "xdvipsk", like
"dvipsotf", but I suppose renaming at this late date would be a whole
lot of work for not much benefit, so might as well leave it.

    on luafonts script

Is the luafonts script something to be installed in the user bindirs?
If so, I want to request a different name for TL. "luafonts" sounds like
it has something to do with fonts for Lua itself (unrelated to TeX),
which will confuse people.

    https://github.com/vtex-soft/texlive.xdvipsk/tree/master/Master/texmf-dist/tex/luatex/luafonts

That url is 404. There is no texmf-dist under
https://github.com/vtex-soft/texlive.xdvipsk/tree/master/Master,
only bin and texmf-config.

    so we would like to add updated tex4ht as well.  There will be some
    updates on it and I wander how we should name it?  xtex4ht?

Wow. This is a different, but equally big, topic. As far as the name
goes, yes, I guess xtex4ht is ok (modulo above), but the much bigger
issue in my mind is, what about filename collisions and maintenance
between the two tex4ht's?  That is, are you using the existing tex4ht
tree, or do you have your own copy with modifications?

And, which of the tex4ht user-level scripts are you installing, and/or
what are the new scripts that take advantage of the OT feature?

Thanks,
Karl