[tex4ht] [bug #606] tex4ht duplicates TOC in two columns in TL 2023 but OK in TL 2022. What changed?

Nasser M. Abbasi puszcza-hackers at gnu.org.ua
Mon Jul 31 12:12:14 CEST 2023

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
        Originator Email:
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

Reference and screen shots at

https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/692383/tex4ht-duplicates-toc-in-two-columns-in-tl-2023-but-ok-in-tl-2022-what-changed

I found a problem in TL 2023 on same document and same command, where now
tex4ht duplicates the TOC in two columns instead of spreading the TOC over the
two columns as it always did before.

Same document, same command. So something changed. The question is how to make
it behave as it did in TL 2022? Do I need to change something in the command
or in the latex?

I have document where in HTML only, I wanted to make the TOC spread over 2
columns because it is very long so I am using multicol package. This has been
working ok for many years.

Here is MWE

-----------------------
\documentclass[12pt,titlepage]{article}
\usepackage{multicol}

\begin{document}
\title{my book}
\author{me}
\date{\today}
\maketitle

\ifdefined\HCode
\Configure{tableofcontents*}{section}
\fi

\ifdefined\HCode
\begin{multicols}{2}
{
\tableofcontents
}
\end{multicols}
\else
\tableofcontents
\fi

\section{section 1}
text
\section{section 2}
text
\section{section 3}
text
\section{section 4}
text
\section{section 5}
text
\section{section 6}
text

\end{document}

Compiled using

make4ht -ulm default -a warning main.tex
     'mathjax,htm,fn-in,0,notoc*,p-width,cut-fullname'

This is the output on a Linux running TL 2023

enter image description here

This is the output on a Linux still running TL 2022

enter image description here

Thanks