[tex4ht] Using texfot with make4ht, how to make it stop at error in compiling?

Nasser M. Abbasi nma at 12000.org
Wed Jun 28 03:09:00 CEST 2023

On 6/27/2023 3:42 PM, Karl Berry wrote:
> Hi Nasser - all texfot does is run the command as specified. From your
> tex.sx question and Michal's answers, it looks like the differences in
> behavior are due to -a warning vs. -a debug?

What I really do not understand is this:

When using `-a debug` then make4ht stops at first error:

    make4ht -ulm default -a debug a.tex "mathjax,htm"

But when wrapping the call by texfot then it does not stop at error

   texfot --tee=/dev/null --ignore="Overfull"
      make4ht -ulm default -a debug a.tex "mathjax,htm"

My question is why?

Should not the whole command stop at first error also when
adding texfot?

> It seems like there should be a way to get make4ht to keep the output
> and still stop on error, but that's up to Michal. Specify -a warning
> and also errorstopmode somehow? (And not need to use texfot.) Or
> -a debug and errorstopmode?
>
> In any event, it also seems like make4ht should notice the bad exit
> status from the first run of htlatex and not run a second time
> regardless of any warning levels. Or is htlatex not exiting with bad
> status?
>
> I don't think this this will solve your problem, but by the way, I
> suggest redirecting input from </dev/null, i.e.,
>    texfot make4ht ... </dev/null
> or
>    make4ht ... </dev/null
> just to avoid any possibility of interaction (that is, assuming you
> don't want that). -k

Thanks