[tex4ht] missing sections and missing last chapter from large build. tex4ht hard limits on number of chapters and sections allowed?

Michal Hoftich michal.h21 at gmail.com
Fri May 13 17:14:16 CEST 2022

Hi Nasser,

> ps. I am emailing this also to tex4ht mailing list. Thought it might be useful.
>
> You mentioned at tex stackexchange you just found a hard limit
> in tex4ht source code on how many files it can generate.
>
> This is good finding, this explains why I have not been able to get
> complete build from this large file.

Yes, it seems that there is a hard limit. From tex4ht-sty.tex:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
We want to reduce the number of compilations due to changes. We can't do
much with sectioning numbers, but we can do quite a lot with labels of
links. Note that the addresses are made up of file numbers + label numbers.

We make the children `fix-points' with respect to file numbers, by
allocating them addresses that are equal to `child-id * 10000'.  We
make here an assumption that a compilation will not generate more than
9999 files.

\<fix point for file ids at child\><<<
\gHAdvance\fstf:id |by 10000

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Unfortunately, you didn't include your TeX file in the zip file. But
you can try to update this variable in a local copy of tex4ht.sty.

You can copy it to your current directory using (assuming you use bash on WSL):

$ cp `kpsewhich tex4ht.sty` .

And change the value on line 3815:

\gHAdvance\fstf:id  100000

This uses 100000 instead of 10000, so I hope it is enough. I am not
sure whether this won't result in different issues, like running out
of memory. So it needs some testing before I can update TeX4ht
sources.