[tex4ht] How to control/optimize the number of times make4ht runs dvilualatex?

Nasser M. Abbasi nma at 12000.org
Tue Apr 19 00:29:18 CEST 2022

On 4/18/2022 5:21 PM, Michal Hoftich wrote:

>You can of
> course change that using a build file, where you can declare your own
> modes and declare commands to be executed.
>
> The default is this:
>
> if mode=="draft" then
>    Make:htlatex{}
> else
>    Make:htlatex{}
>    Make:htlatex{}
>    Make:htlatex{}
> end

Thanks, but the issue is, how does one know if they
need to run it 1, 2 or 3 times? What code do I need to add
to the above to decide?

With lualatex, now this is what I do and it works (other option is to
use latexmk, but for some other reasons, I prefer to stick to makefiles
for now).

------------------------------
lualatex  -halt-on-error -interaction=batchmode --shell-escape -file-line-error index.tex

if  grep -E 'Rerun to get it removed|Temporary extra page added at the end|There were undefined references' index.log ; then
     echo "Need to RUN one more time...."
     lualatex  -halt-on-error -interaction=batchmode --shell-escape -file-line-error index.tex
     if  grep -E 'Rerun to get it removed|Temporary extra page added at the end|There were undefined references' index.log  ; then
         echo "Need to RUN one more time...."
         lualatex  -halt-on-error -interaction=batchmode --shell-escape -file-line-error index.tex
     fi
fi

The above checks after each run if it needs to run again. It does it only
3 times. No need for more.

I do not know what to check for with tex4ht or how to do the above
in the build lua file you show.

How to decide?