[tex4ht] How to control/optimize the number of times make4ht runs dvilualatex?

Nasser M. Abbasi nma at 12000.org
Mon Apr 18 23:06:43 CEST 2022

Since some of my files take long time to compile for PDF and HTML,
I've been trying to optimize the number of times needed to compile
them.

With lualatex, I now check in the log file and decided if there
is a need to run lualatex one more time or not.

For tex4ht, it seems to always run 3 times. Even for the most
simple files. Here is an example

-----------------------------
>cat report.tex
\documentclass[11pt]{book}
\begin{document}
test
\end{document}
---------------------------

Running the command (all on one line)

time make4ht -ulm default -a debug report.tex "mathjax,htm"

Shows that

htlatex: LaTeX call: dvilualatex --interaction=errorstopmode -jobname='report'

was called 3 times. Each time. Of course on a small file like this,
it does not matter, but I have files where I timed it taking over 2 hrs
for each one call to dvilualatex. This means 6 hrs in total. This
phase seems to take most of the time.

If I can reduce it to calling it 2 times, this will be big reduction in
time.

But I have no idea how make4ht decides if it needs to run 1 or 2 or 3 times
the program dvilualatex.

With lualatex, it is easy to check. I just check if the log file
contain the string `Rerun` and other variation of it.

My question is: how does make4ht decide it needs to run 3 times
each time? Is it possible to make it more optimal? How would the
user control this from outside?

Thanks