[tex4ht] why arxiv.org choose LaTeXML and not tex4ht for making HTML pages?

William F Hammond gellmu at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 20:43:32 CET 2022

On Sun, Feb 27, 2022 at 2:16 PM Michal Hoftich replied to Nasser Abbasi:

[snip]
> Are their technical reasons for this choice? What can LaTeXML do
> which tex4ht can not?

I think LaTeXML uses a different approach than TeX4ht for the
conversion, so while we can easily support custom commands and
packages, or translate chunks of the document to pictures, we are also
more likely to get fatal errors because of package clashes. So just
using a package  in your document (for example, recently I had to fix
the PDFX package), can lead to a fatal error. This can be difficult to
debug for a lot of users, and even more problematic if you have
thousands of documents from various users, all of them using random
packages. You will just get a big number of documents that fail.

Thousands of documents from various users using random packages with no
umbrella of discipline is the reason for my suggestion that the LaTeX
community should begin to use LaTeX profiles as outlined in my talk in San
Francisco at TUG 2010
<https://www.albany.edu/~hammond/presentations/Tug2010/>.

The author of a document using a LaTeX profile that is supported by both
LaTeXML and TeX4ht would be able to have confidence that their [sic]
document would pass correctly through both systems as well as through the
system of any publisher supporting the profile.

            -- Bill

William F Hammond
Email: gellmu at gmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/william.f.hammond