[tex4ht] why has the spacings between enumeration lists increased in TL 2021 vs. TL 2020 with tex4ht?

Michal Hoftich michal.h21 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 13 15:06:39 CEST 2021

Hi Ulrike,

>There is some discussion going on related to "well tagged pdf" if
>list item bodies are paragraphs or not.
>
>Basically the answer is, "it depends":
>In lists with short topics you don't want a paragraph tagging, but
>you do in long list items with multiple paragraphs.
>
>We will probably have to offer more control for users here.
>
>But imho as *default* it makes more sense if tex4ht doesn't insert
>paragraphs, but offer some command that allows to mark list item
>bodies as real paragraphs. Lists with short, non-paragraph items are
>more common than lists with long texts.

TeX4ht used to not start paragraphs explicitly in lists, but it caused
issues with items that contained multiple paragraphs, so I changed that
recently. It is possible to remove any paragraph spacing if item
contains just one paragraphs, so it doesn't make any visual difference
to the version without paragraph.

I can make a DOM extension for make4ht that removes paragraphs in items
that contain just one paragraph. It should be quite easy and more robust
than any handling of this issue on the TeX side.