[tex4ht] make4ht-lib: Fatal error. Command t4ht returned exit code 1, Too many characters (> 500) for map line: `l'

Nasser M. Abbasi nma at 12000.org
Sun Feb 7 22:39:26 CET 2021

On 2/7/2021 3:19 PM, Michal Hoftich wrote:
> Hi Nasser,
>

>> Please try again, it should now work.
>>
>>     https://www.12000.org/tmp/02042021/content_all.zip
>>

> thanks, I can get this file now.
>
>> This is strange error. Sometimes it happens when I keep last compile
>> .aux and .dvi files around. It seems tex4ht get confused by having
>> old .aux and .dvi files in the folder.
>>
>> So now I changed my makefiles to make sure these are deleted before
>> any new compile is started. I do not know if this has anything to
>> do with this error.
>
> I've tried to compile it multiple times and never got an error.

No problem. Thanks for trying. Could you please try this? Compile to PDF first
using lualatex content_all.tex and leaving all temporary files generated
as is in the folder.

Now please try compiling to HTML using the same command I have in
that text file and see if you get an error.   I found  on my end,
if I do not clear all temporary files from the lualatex compilation before
starting the HTML compilation, sometimes I get  this error. But if you do
not, no problem, just something to try.

>I have
> just few notes that can make the compilation a bit faster:
>
> - use the -m draft option unless you introduce a new section. As most of
>     the .aux file and other temporary files remain same, it is not
>     necessary to run multiple LaTeX invocations. It is useful when you
>     introduce a new section that would produce a new HTML file.

But my makefiles are set the same way for all my tree. They use
the same make4ht command. So I have no idea when I run make if
I have added a new section or not anywhere in some
latex file. Since they need to work on any folder and any where. So I
I can't really hard code the draft option.

> - try the `dvisvgm_hashes` extension. It produces SVG files much faster.
>     You can require it using -f html5+dvisvgm_hashes option.

I do not use svg anymore for math. I assume you are talking about math here. I
use  mathjax now. For graphics images, I convert all my images to SVG using
makefiles automatically from PDF files, before compiling latex to HTML. I have
not used SVG for math for long time now.  Sorry if I misunderstood you.

> Best regards,
> Michal

Thank you