[tex4ht] Possible bug in tex4ht

Trent Fridey tfri.92 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 01:48:34 CET 2021

Hello,

Apologies if this is not the best place to submit a bug report -- I am
trying out this mailing group thing for the first time -- but I think I am
running into a bug with tex4ht. I am also fairly new with LaTex in general,
so please bear with me if I am missing something obvious. I am trying to
use TikZ in Emacs Org Mode via a LaTeX source block. For testing purposes,
I am trying to compile the following block:

---
 \begin{tikzpicture}
 \draw[->] (-3,0) -- (-2,0) arc[radius=0.5cm,start angle=-180,end angle=0]
(-1,0) -- (1,0) arc[radius=0.5cm,start angle=180,end angle=0] (2,0) --
(3,0);
 \filldraw (-1.5,0) circle[radius=1mm];
 \filldraw (1.5,0) circle[radius=1mm];
 \end{tikzpicture}
---

Trying to compile this with pdfTex fails; the shell outputs the following
message:

---
! Undefined control sequence.
l.140 \AtBeginEnvironment

 [tex4ht]{abstract}{\ConfigureEnv{center}{\a:abstrac...

?
! Emergency stop.
l.140 \AtBeginEnvironment

 [tex4ht]{abstract}{\ConfigureEnv{center}{\a:abstrac...

No pages of output.
---

I tried to track down where AtBeginEnivronment is from, with me being new
to debugging LaTeX, a quick search suggests it is from the etoolbox
package. Looking up the AtBeginEnvironment in the manual here:
http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/CTAN/macros/latex/contrib/etoolbox/etoolbox.pdf,
it looks like the definition is missing the `[tex4ht]`, so my best guess is
that the control sequence is being invoked improperly in tex4ht-4ht.tex:

http://svn.gnu.org.ua/viewvc/tex4ht/trunk/lit/tex4ht-4ht.tex?annotate=877#l8227

Let me know if you need anything from me to debug this or if there's a
better way to submit this bug.

Regards,
Trent