[tex4ht] exerquiz problems

Tomas Davidek Tomas.Davidek at cern.ch
Mon Jan 18 16:00:07 CET 2021

Thanks a lot, Michal. I applied your correction to exerquiz.4ht in my
system. It works well, but when adding more text to my document, I am
getting the error messages like

[ipnp-n19] ~/tex/cestina.tex4ht > make4ht -c split.cfg -u exerquiz_exx.tex
[STATUS]  make4ht: Conversion started
[STATUS]  make4ht: Input file: exerquiz_exx.tex
[ERROR]   htlatex: Compilation errors in the htlatex run
[ERROR]   htlatex: Filename     Line    Message
[ERROR]   htlatex: ./exerquiz_exx.tex   204      Extra \endcsname.
[ERROR]   htlatex:
/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/generic/tex4ht/tex4ht.sty ?
Extra \endcsname.
[ERROR]   htlatex: ./exerquiz_exx.xref  204      Missing \endcsname
inserted.
[ERROR]   htlatex: ?    204      Missing \endcsname inserted.
[ERROR]   htlatex: ?    204      Missing \endcsname inserted.
[ERROR]   htlatex: ?    204      Extra \endcsname.
[ERROR]   htlatex: ?    204      Extra \endcsname.
[ERROR]   htlatex: ?    204      LaTeX Error: Missing \begin{document}
in `split.cfg'.
[ERROR]   htlatex: ?    1182     Missing \endcsname inserted.
[ERROR]   htlatex: ?    1182     You can't use `\relax' after \the.
[ERROR]   htlatex: Compilation errors in the htlatex run

Well, the error message suggests there might be a problem in the
configuration file (split.cfg), but - when getting rid of the exerquiz
environment, the error message disappears. It's strange, maybe there is
some interference between the align and example environments?? I don't know.

Attached is a tarball containing all files needed for running the
example. The examples are two - one with the exercise environment
heavily used (exerquiz_exx.tex) and another without using this
environment (exerquiz_ex.tex, this one runs ok).

I should also note that - even when getting the error messages - the
resulting HTML page looks reasonably, but when adding more chapters, the
code crashes. So apparently one should avoid these error messages for
large documents....

Maybe the problem can be fixed by an improvement in the configuration
file split.cfg??

Thanks a lot,

cheers,
                   Tomas