[tex4ht] [bug #481] Problem with Braces / Brackets in Maths equations using mk4ht latex->mathml

Nasser M. Abbasi nma at 12000.org
Fri Aug 21 10:53:54 CEST 2020

On 8/21/2020 3:40 AM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:

>> After changing the command and adding "mathml", now some
>> of my latex files no longer compile.
>
>> Please see this MWE
>
>> \documentclass{article}
>> \usepackage{amsmath}
>> \begin{document}
>> $n^\text{th}$
>> \end{document}
>
> $n^\text{th}$ is wrong, unsupported syntax. It works (sometimes) but only by
> chance. The correct latex input if you have more than one token in a
> superscript or subscript is to add additional braces:
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{amsmath}
> \begin{document}
> $n^{\text{th}}$
> \end{document}
>
> With them your example compiles.

I see. But I did not not write this latex. It seems to work OK in mathjax.

This is how the latex came from a Mathematica newsletter which is emailed each
week.

Which I tried to compile. The original message itself which had this latex in it this
one:

https://mathematica.stackexchange.com/questions/154944/finding-n-textth-largest-smallest-element

Viewing the page source, it shows

=========
<head>
<title>list manipulation - Finding $n^\text{th}$ largest/smallest element - Mathematica Stack Exchange</title>
=======

It is the title of the above message.

This is how the latex came in email to me from stackexchange.

But I corrected it now. It used to  compile OK before using mathml.

Best,