[tex4ht] Fwd: Getting rid of <span class="cmr-9"> breaks in footnotes

Jürgen Hubert jhubert at gmx.de
Sat Jul 4 18:27:16 CEST 2020

> Gesendet: Samstag, 04. Juli 2020 um 15:13 Uhr
> Von: "Michal Hoftich" <michal.h21 at gmail.com>

> On Sat, Jul 04, 2020 at 07:50:41AM +0200, Jürgen Hubert wrote:
> >
> >Unfortunately, the problem persisted even after this change. I investigated further by manually editing the EPUB file with Calibre, and it turns out that the problem wasn't actually the </span><span> tags - it was the line break between "the" and "Devil". The empty spaces _also_ seem to be displayed in the popup.
> >
> >Yes, Amazon - one of the biggest companies in the world with massive amounts of IT resources - is unable to interpret HTML correctly with their "popup footnote" feature.
> >
> ><headdesk>
>
> I am always amazed how bad ebook readers are. The only evolution that
> happens is on the hardware side, stuff like backlighting, etc. But the
> actual rendering is still awfull and nobody seems to have problem with
> that. And then comes stuff like footnotes that are displayed as popups,
> instead of, you know, as footnotes are displayed in books for last few
> hundreds of years.
>
> And of course, even this awfull way is broken. I lost my hope in ebooks
> long ago, but this is another level.

I actually think the pop-up footnotes are a fairly decent idea - the Kindle screen has a fairly limited size, and some of my footnotes can get rather lengthy. Viewing them as popups thus makes sense - you can read them if you want to, but they don't distract from the reading flow if you want to ignore them.

Anyway, I can report success! Thank you very much! I had you in the Acknowledgements of the book already, but it's great that you were able to solve this issue so quickly this close before the finish line.   ;)

Best regards,

- Jürgen