[tex4ht] Bold index entries

"Jürgen Hubert" jhubert at gmx.de
Wed May 8 06:22:46 CEST 2019

Sorry - I accidentally answered to Michael only when I found the solution. Here it is again, for the whole list:

As far as I can tell, the problem was that I was alternately generating PDF files with pdftex and epub files with the usual

tex4ebook -lm index -c myconfig.cfg -e mybuild.mk4 <filename>.tex

However, when compiling the epub file the compiler first attempts to read the existing *.ind index files (I have two, since I use two indices) before compiling them anew. And when attempting to read them, it comes across the

! Undefined control sequence.
l. 114	\item dragon, \hyperindexformat {\textbf}{15}, \hyperpage{15}

error - the .ind files generated by pdflatex and tex4ebook use different file formats. If you use them in the opposite order, pdflatex simply overwrites the tex4ebook files without any error messages.

So now that I know what to look for, I simply have to remember to delete the *.ind files before compiling the epub file.

Best regards,

- Jürgen