[tex4ht] several bugs and a query

Alexandre Roberts alexandre.roberts at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 22:26:00 CET 2019

Dear all,

Just a follow-up about the bug reports/feature requests I sent out a week
ago. I realize I asked for a lot all at once, so I thought I would single
out a couple that are highest priority:

1. *Superscript (and subscripts) not working in footnotes* (
https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/474005/superscript-not-working-in-footnotes-in-tex4ht-output).
This is the main one because it can't be fixed by find/replace. I use
superscript to refer to the "recto" and "verso" of folios in medieval
manuscripts (e.g., `folio 2\textsuperscript{r}` for the recto side of folio
2), and I use subscript for line numbers when referring to manuscripts or
critical editions (e.g., `22\textsubscript{1-24}` for lines 1-24 of page
22). Especially in the latter case, information is actually lost in the
conversion, since "221-24" means something quite different from "22, lines
1-24".

2. Less important because it's about formatting rather than information,
but still problematic because it can't be fixed with find/replace, is the
problem of *spuriously italicized (or boldface) footnote hooks* (
https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/474003/spuriously-italicized-footnote-hooks-in-
tex4ht-output).

The rest are less important. The section break issue can be fixed with
find/replace in MS Word (find ^b = Section break, replace it with nothing).
The section numbering issue is not an issue at all (I was confused). As for
formatting footnotes, that is certainly not urgent!

I hope this helps. I would also like to express my gratitude to all who
work on and maintain tex4ht, which is a life-saver for those of us working
with publishers who are still in the Word world!

Best wishes,
Alex