[tex4ht] [bug #406] The optional argument for \chapter is ignored in TOC with Memoir class

Michal Hoftich michal.h21 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 25 17:00:49 CET 2018

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
        Originator Email:
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

I will reproduce a report from the tex4ebook issue tracker [1]

---
The \chapter takes two parameters: in curly brackets (more common) and square
brackets (less common). If just curly brackets are used, that text is used for
both the TOC and chapter header. If curly and square are used, then the text
in square brackets are used by LaTeX for the TOC and the text in curly
brackets are used for the chapter header. Tex4ebook appears to ignore the
square brackets and use whatever's in the curly brackets for both TOC and
chapter headers. This is a problem for my current project because I have
newlines in the chapter names where they appear at chapter headers, but this
is ugly in the TOC.

In the context of this bug report, if only square brackets are used, it is
legal for demons to fly out of the author's nose.

\documentclass{memoir}
\begin{document}
\tableofcontents*
\chapter[First Chapter]{First\\