[tex4ht] MathJax support

Nasser M. Abbasi nma at 12000.org
Tue Dec 4 20:10:23 CET 2018

On 12/4/2018 9:02 AM, Michal Hoftich wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've just added new literate source to tex4ht,  tex4ht-mathjax.tex. It
> is a modified version of mathjax-latex-4ht.sty from the Helpers4ht
> project [1]. I've also added the "mathjax" option to `html4-math.4ht`,
> so it should be possible to require the MathJax rendering of math
> using this option. I need to add this option also for the MathML
> output.
>
> Anyway, with this option it will be possible to use MathJax directly using
>
>      make4ht filename.tex "mathjax"
>
> without need to use Helpers4ht and configuration files.
>
> Best regards,
> Michal
>

> [1] https://github.com/michal-h21/helpers4ht/blob/master/mathjax-latex-4ht.sty

Thanks Michal.

But I can't get it to work. Is this supposed to be in the source now?
I just did now _full_ update for TL 2018.

Two issues
===========
1) when I compile a file, it generates png images and do not do mathjax.

2) when I use my main .cfg, now I get error

make4ht -ulm default -c ~/nma_mathjax.cfg foo.tex "htm,mathjax"
=================================
(/usr/local/texlive/2018/texmf-dist/tex/generic/tex4ht/html4-math.4ht)
(/usr/local/texlive/2018/texmf-dist/tex/generic/tex4ht/html5.4ht)) (./foo.aux)
! Undefined control sequence.
l.184 \ExplSyntaxOn

?
======================================

Because in my main .cfg file, I am using \ExplSyntax on.

But lets stay with the first issue for now. Using this MWE

==================================
\documentclass[12pt]{article}
\usepackage{amsmath}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\begin{document}

\begin{multline*}
A \sin x+\\
\cos x=0
\end{multline*}

\end{document}
=========================

Compiled using

make4ht -ulm default -c ./nma_mathjax.cfg foo.tex "htm,mathjax"

Where the local .cfg above is this:

=========================
>cat nma_mathjax.cfg
\Preamble{xhtml}
\begin{document}
\EndPreamble

=====================

So I removed the first line that was there which was

\RequirePackage{mathjax-latex-4ht}

Becuase you said it is no longer needed?

But now it generaes png for images. Looking at the HTML,
there is no mathjax configuration at all in it.

Same thing if I use

     make4ht foo.tex "htm,mathjax"

Am I doing something wrong? Or may be the updates are not
there yet?

Thanks