[tex4ht] problem using "\" inside verbatim in make4ht mathjax mode

Nasser M. Abbasi nma at 12000.org
Fri Sep 28 03:41:01 CEST 2018

On 9/27/2018 3:04 AM, Michal Hoftich wrote:

> it seems that MathJax process \ref command even outside the math
> environments. I hope that there is some MathJax option to suppress
> that, it would be best to ask on MathJax support forum, I think.
>
> Best regards,
> Michal

Thanks Michal. You are correct. From

http://docs.mathjax.org/en/latest/tex.html

it says

"There are two exception to this rule. First,
MathJax supports the \ref macro outside of math-mode"

The good thing, it seems this is limited to this only.

something must be special about "\ref".

So it is not such a big deal. I only have \ref as verbatim
in 2 or 3 places in one file only.  So I can try to
change that.

I was worried it will affect more latex commands. Other than
this, your make4ht+mathjax is working very well so far. Much
faster compiling speed than using dvisvgm for sure.

If dvisvgm can be as fast, I'd prefer to use dvi for math,
since it does not depend on an external software and a web server
running to view the HTML web pages, even locally on a PC.

But for now, will keep trying mathjax.