[tex4ht] what is the fastest way to convert large document to HTML?

Nasser M. Abbasi nma at 12000.org
Wed Aug 22 08:39:45 CEST 2018

On 8/21/2018 4:12 PM, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
> On 2018-08-21 at 08:31:05 -0500, Nasser M. Abbasi wrote:
>
>   > Or may be becuase on VBox, only one core can be used (as far as I
>   > know) and make4ht checked for this, and that is why it used j1
>   > while on windows linux subsystem more cores can be used and it used
>   > all available there?
>
> VBox can use all available CPUs.  This is configurable but the default
> settings are quite conservative.
>
> You have to shut down the virtual machine in order to change the
> settings in the Virtual Box Manager.
>
> I suppose that the amount of main memory assigned to the VM is also
> quite small by default.
>
> Regards,
>    Reinhard

I think all the speed is comming from the make -jN method.

My intel PC has 6 cores. When I run it on windows linux subsystem
it was fastest since it used all 6 cores at same time. On Vbox
it was not fast.

VBOX by default uses one core (even though one can change that).

I do not think RAM is that important here. I see little RAM used
when make4ht is running relatively speaking. make4ht is now running
and using only 150 MB memory, and I have 64 GB ram to use.

So now I am shopping for a new CPU with most cores I can find
as it turns out this is the magic behind speeding up tex4ht
more than anything else.

There are CPU's now with 18 cores and 32 cores.  So I need to
start saving money to buy one of these as they get expensive,
but considering the amount of time saved, they are well worth it,
after all, time is money also.