[tex4ht] DVI error: page count in postamble doesn't match actual number of pages

Michal Hoftich michal.h21 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 12:13:12 CEST 2018

Hi Nasser,

>> The reason for the mentioned error is a limitation of the DVI format.
>> The field in the postamble holding the total number of pages is a 16-bit
>> value, i.e. if the document consists of more than 65535 pages, there's a
>> number overflow resulting in a mismatch between this value and the
>> actual number of pages.
>> Fortunately, the value in the postamble has no impact on other data in
>> the DVI file so that I can replace the plausibility check by just
>> comparing the lower 16 bits of the page count. I tried that with your
>> IDV file and it worked properly.
>>
>> Martin
>>
> Is this error generated by dvisvgm has anything to do with the error
> generated below it, which is "Image processing error: max_count exceeded"

I thought that the issue is the huge size of your input file and not
some package incompatibility.

The max_count error is caused by the .mk4 file, the max_count
specifies maximal length of number in the .svg file names. The default
value is 5, which means that it supports up to 99999 images. You need
to try to increase this value in your case. For example

local max_count = 7

> And I am wondering now if this is why compiling this file to HTML
> always takes so long. May be these error messages are what is slowing
> htlatex.

Your main file is 7 MB and it includes another 1732 files. It will
always take a lot of time to compile this, I am afraid.

> The file does eventually get compiled to HTML, yes. I just did not
> know if there are problems in the generated HTML. Too many web page
> to check visually that each page has the correct math placed on it
> or not.

You may try some automated tools for html testing.