[tex4ht] "page is empty" messages. But nothing seems wrong in the HTML

Nasser M. Abbasi nma at 12000.org
Sat Apr 7 08:28:21 CEST 2018

On 4/6/2018 2:30 AM, Michal Hoftich wrote:
> The full compilation took 10 minutes on my computer (Core  i3-3220
> with 4 GB RAM, without SSD, native Linux), so I think there must be
> something that really slows down the compilation on Windows, as you
> have much more powerful computer and it takes two hours to compile
> this file.
>
> Best regards,
> Michal

Hello Michal;

I just installed tex4ht for miktex (for some reason,
one has to install it manually in miktex, through miktex
package manager). And I compiled the same file I had here

https://www.12000.org/tmp/slow_svg/

Using same command, which is

make4ht --lua -u -c nma.cfg  -e main.mk4 report.tex "htm,3,pic-align,notoc*"

This is now inside a DOS window, running under miktex. So this
is native windows 7. 16 GB. Same PC. No cygwin, no VBox.

I expected to get result close to your's. But guess what?

The compile took just as long as it did on cygwin.  I started
the command at 11:30 PM.

Almost all the time was spend in the dvisvgm phase of the build.

It took about 7 minutes from issuing the make4ht command to get to
this line which says

Make4ht: dvisvgm -n --exact -c 1.225,1.225 -p 1- report.idv

And At 1:20 AM, it finished the above phase.  So it took dvisvgm
phase a total of 1 hr and 40 minutes !  more than 90% of the
compile.

Ofcourse, it failed after this phase, since there is no
"mv" command in DOS and make4ht was doing "mv" after that
phase is finished.

But I just wanted to see if dvisvgm is faster when running
it under windows/miktex with no emulation.

So this tells me that dvisvgm is not optimized for windows
since it seems so much faster on Linux based on your timing.

May someone who knows more about this program can comment
on this. It is version  2.3.2 on windows:

X:\data\public_html\latex\slow_svg_example>dvisvgm --version
dvisvgm 2.3.2

X:\data\public_html\latex\slow_svg_example>make4ht --version
make4ht version v0.1c

Next, I will try this compile on my old linux PC. Will need to
intall latest TL there. May be tommorrow.