[tex4ht] Frenchb space before double punctuation (OpenOffice)

Michal Hoftich michal.h21 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 22 15:07:54 CEST 2017

Hello Thierry,

> I use the babel package with the frenchb option.
>
> In LaTeX, this option inserts unbreakable thin spaces before all double punctuations: ":", ";", "!", "?", "«", "»"
>
> When I produce an OpenOffice document from my latex, the double punctuations "?", ";", and "!" no longer have a space before them.
>
> Another problem is that the space (when it exists) should be unbreakable, which is not the case : before ":", "»" and after "«"  it is an ordinary space.
> So, the conversion from LaTeX to OpenOffice does not respect the french typographical rules which are implemented in frenchb.
>
> Is there a way to solve this problem?

It seems there is no configuration for French Babel for the Ooffice
output. You can try to use the following configuration file, it it works
for you, I will update the sources:

\Preamble{xhtml}
\Configure{frenchb-thinspace}{\HCode{\string&\csname :sharp\endcsname x2009;}}{}
\Configure{frenchb-nbsp}{\csname :nbsp\endcsname\setbox0\hbox\bgroup}{\egroup}
\begin{document}
\EndPreamble