[tex4ht] [bug #366] tex4ht-sty.tex does not test the presence of the local ./tex4ht.sty, but any tex4ht.sty in the TEXMF

Vincent Belaïche vincent.b.1 at hotmail.fr
Mon Aug 14 12:49:40 CEST 2017

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
        Originator Email:
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

Hello,
When one compiles tex4ht-sty.tex, this file checks the presence of tex4ht.sty,
and if present it uses it, otherwise it uses an inlined replacement of it.

The problem is that it does not test for the local tex4ht.sty, but for any
tex4ht.sty in the TEXMF. This has two bad consequences :

1) If I have a tex4ht.sty installed in my LaTeX distribution, then this one
will be used instead of the local replacement. So if the installed tex4ht.sty
is not forward compatible with the current needs of tex4ht-sty.tex that won't
work

2) Even if the installed tex4ht.sty works, this is problematic, because this
means that the local inlined replacement is never used/tested.

I attached a fix that works for me. The fix is very simple, instead of:

\openin15 tex4ht.sty

I have now (with current dir):

\openin15 ./tex4ht.sty

On top of that I did some other change so that the \closein15 comes as soon as
possible. I did this change because it is useless to keep this input file open
all along, as the purpose of opening it was just to make some \IfFileExists
test in plain TeX, so one can, and IMHO should, close it as soon as this
objective is reached.

File Attachments:

Date: lun. 14 août 2017 13:49:40 EEST  Name: tex4ht-sty.diff  Size: 965 o
By: vincentb1