[tex4ht] curiosity about unicode.4hf

Matteo Gamboz gamboz at medialab.sissa.it
Wed Mar 15 11:53:28 CET 2017

On Wed, 15 Mar 2017 10:34:06 +0100,
Michal Hoftich wrote:

> > Michal - the question is, should we do that in the sources? On the
> > theory that with -cunihtf -utf8, characters should be output, not
> > entities. It is not logical to output an entity for ' and not for `,
> > after all.
>
> I am not really sure. I think that it is quite unlikely it could cause
> some issue, because attributes in tex4ht are usually set in the
> configurations, they don't come from the document text. But it is
> still possible, so we probably should left it as it is.

Only to be precise,

from (MWE):
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{textcomp}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\begin{document}
\textquotesingle
'
`
"
\end{document}

you get:

'
’
‘
"

In the event one decides to modify unicode.4hf, I would suggest to
modify in order to get the following (attaching the file modified):

'
’
‘
"

(I'm not suggesting to modify anything :-)