[tex4ht] [bug #345] regression testing is needed

Michal Hoftich michal.h21 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 15:51:25 CET 2016

Hi all

> tex4ht testing needs to deal not with log files, but output files which may
> be
> text files (html, xml, multiply html) and/or binary files (e.g. images).
> I am not sure if it would be good idea to extend l3build to support these
> features.
> Rather I think about a different script:
> build.lua -> (run.lua)
> l3build.lua -> test4ht.lua (?)
> regression-test.tex -> regression-test-4ht.tex (?)
>
> Does it sound reasonable?
> Alternatively, we can always start from scratch.

It indeed sounds reasonable, we have a little bit different needs than
LaTeX 3, where  they test only the log file, but with all three main
engines. We need to test several files for each tested file (at least
the XML and CSS), we also need to be able to pass different options
for particular tests. I haven't read l3build documentation and source
code yet, so I have no idea how difficult it will be to get that to
work. But I am sure that it can't be harder than to start from
scratch.