[tex4ht] debugging tex4ht bootstrap

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Aug 12 00:10:40 CEST 2016

Hi Deimi - wow, thank you for all the work.  It all sounds excellent.
Unfortunately I am going to be tied up producing the TUG conference
proceedings for some time.  But I will come back to this as soon as I
can.  For now, a couple of quick replies.

Re the separate mktex4ht.cnf, yes.  Except manual maintenance doesn't
sound good.  Seems like we could generate the separate file outside of
TeX, e.g., by grep/sed/perl whatever of the source files?  Then we'd
avoid the mutual dependency, I think.  Agreed on no benefit to literate
version of the .cnf.

Also really like the idea of being able to split up tex4ht-4ht.  As you
saw, we had to disable our tiny attempt at beginning that with lettrine
because of the mktex4ht.cnf problem.  Having a different file for each
"class" (and defining the classes more clearly) sounds right to me.

Alternatively, if (since, I guess) the classes are essentially arbitrary,
I wonder about doing it alphabetically (one file for a*.4ht, one file
for b*.4ht, etc.), to avoid making random judgements.  But maybe that is
worse than trying to impose some kind of semantics.

Thanks again, so much.  -karl