[tex4ht] [bug #276] avoid multiple runs of latex

Boris Veytsman borisv at lk.net
Thu Mar 31 14:40:27 CEST 2016

HGS> Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 10:17:46 +0200
HGS> From: Hans Georg Schaathun <georg+tex at schaathun.net>

HGS> I have actually seen people doing exactly that as part of a Makefile
HGS> setup (using Bourne shell).  Personally, I never copied that setup.
HGS> It is a bit odd that I did not, since I do not doubt that it worked,
HGS> and I usually do not mind a little bit of chewing gum and tape in my
HGS> config :-)

HGS> I cannot remember where I saw it.  It has been at least a decade.

Here is a fragment of my typical Makefile (I beleive it is more than a
decade old :)

%.pdf:  %.tex
	pdflatex $<
	- bibtex $*
	pdflatex $<
	while ( grep -q '^LaTeX Warning: Label(s) may have changed' $*.log) \
	do pdflatex $<; done

--
Good luck

-Boris

Now I know someone out there is going to claim, "Well then, UNIX is intuitive,
because you only need to learn 5000 commands, and then everything else follows
from that! Har har har!"
(Andy Bates in comp.os.linux.misc, on "intuitive interfaces", slightly
defending Macs.)