[tex4ht] problem with slow compilation of large latex file with large math content

Nasser M. Abbasi nma at 12000.org
Mon Mar 28 07:29:56 CEST 2016

On 3/27/2016 11:45 PM, Jagath AR wrote:
> On 27 March 2016 at 04:50, Nasser M. Abbasi <nma at 12000.org> wrote:
>> Just to be clear: For the specific file I posted
>>
>>    http://12000.org/tmp/032616/
>>
>> pdflates and lualatex take about 2-3 minutes to compile the above file,
>> on native linux on new PC.  Even on Vbox and cygwin, pdflatex and lualatex
>> as really fast. Not more than 4-5 minutes at most on this file.
>>

> ​Hi Nasser,
> I have TL 2013 on i5 machine with 8GB RAM on Ubuntu 12.04.
>
> I have downloaded the files and tested by unloading some packages you have
> provided and found that the package "*titlesec*" is slowing down the
> compilation when you go through tex4ht (make4ht). I have commented it on
> *my_core.tex* and executed your *compile.sh. *The process is now faster.
> Could you please check this.
>
> ​I have not gone in detail on what is causing the problem in '*titlesec'*
> package on tex4ht.​
>
> ​Regards
> Jagath AR​

Hello Jagath;

You are the most amazing person !

This is unbelievable. I removed  titlesec package, and tex4ht compiled
the file in only 4 minutes now !  This is same file it would take
5 hrs. This is about 75 times faster! This is all on the new tex4ht PC.

I am using TL 2015 on Linux mint. 64 bit.

Thank you so much for finding this. Now what used to take 20 days to compile
will be done in few hrs only.

I'll file a new bug against this so that at least it is recorded and
to track. It will be good to find out why titlesec slows down tex4ht
so much. This might lead to another issue in the way.

Thanks again for the great work and finding this. I have a core latex
file which contains few core packages that I include all the time in all
my latex file. I'll make sure from now on not to use titlesec and titletoc
packages with tex4ht. I must have needed this package for something else.

Now I have a new PC that I do not need, that I bought just for tex4ht.
I need to find what to do with it ;)

thank you,