[tex4ht] Including vector graphics (graphicx and PDF files)

Hans Georg Schaathun georg+tex at schaathun.net
Thu Jan 7 11:08:51 CET 2016

Dear all,

I have a number of externally created vector graphics objects
which I need to include in TeX document to be compiled with
tex4ht.  The problem is that the resulting pixmap graphics (PNG)
has inadequate resolution.  Does anyone have a working fix for this?

I would normally have an original file.pdf and a converted file.eps,
both of which look like vector graphics, and then use:
\usepackage{graphicx}
\includegraphics{file}
This works well with pdflatex, and except for the poor pixmap
resolution, ok with htlatex.

The preferred solution would be to use SVG vector graphics on the web
page.  Whether tex4ht does the PDF->SVG conversion or I do it separately
matters little.  I have tried to google, but all the hits seems to be
concerned with generating SVG from tikz and maths, which is not
quite the problem.

A satisfactory solution would be to figure out how to tell htlatex
which resolution to use in PNG generation.

I attach a minimal example, which is compiled with
htlatex graphcis.tex "xhtml,2,mathml,charset=utf-8" " -cmozhtf -utf8" \
    "-cvalidate"
This is the result:
http://kerckhoffs.schaathun.net/test/graphics.html

TIA