[tex4ht] Backing up Re: [bug #226] Spurious elements in mathml output ...

William F Hammond hammond at csc.albany.edu
Sun Aug 3 03:07:04 CEST 2014

After checking The LaTeX Companion, 2nd edition,
I should take back part of what I said in my last message:

> The LaTeX markup $\mathit{hello}$ is insufficient for
> knowing whether or not "hello" is intended to
> be the name of a mathematical symbol.

The LaTeX Companion seems to say that with this markup
"hello" is a symbol.  So then
<mi mathvariant="italic">hello</mi>.

> For example, with the LaTeX markup
> $\mathbf{\operatorname{Hom}(X,Y)}$ should "Hom", which
> should be upright, be bold or not?

The LaTeX Companion describes \mathrm, \mathbf, and \mathit
as commands that operate on the alphabet, maybe just the
Latin alphabet.  So now it's unclear to me whether \mathbf,
etc. should be allowed on \operatorname even when the content
inside \operatorname is alphabetic.

(Is the LaTeX rule still that it's allowed if it works?)

Sorry for the previous confusion.

(A formalized definition of LaTeX would help.)

                                    -- Bill