[tex4ht] tex4ht support for Non-Breaking Space according to \quad and \qquad etc..

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon Jul 21 00:29:22 CEST 2014

Hi Michal,

    \Configure{qquad}{\HCode{\string&\#x00A0;}}

Wouldn't it be better for \qquad to actually insert 2em, as in
(css out of my head, probably wrong, but you get the idea.)
Likewise \quad -> 1em.

Also, it's not clear to me why it should be unbreakable.  It's not
unbreakable in (La)TeX.

    Maybe new configuration, like
    \Configure{thinspace-text} should be provided instead in text mode.

I guess.  One way or another, ideally \, would insert \thinspace (1/6em)
in text, since that'what it does in LaTeX.  \, only works in math in
plain TeX, but tugboat and other plain styles allow it to work in text
too, so why not allow it there too ...

Can you hack up a patch, perchance?

    I've also found some really weird behavior of tex4ht with -utf8
    option,

(I imagine character set bugs are endless.)  I don't see anything
obvious in the binary itself.  My first suspicion is that it is a
consequence of the lengthy chain of configuration files and/or in one of
the scripts that gets called :(.

thanks,
karl