[tex4ht] [bug #214] tex4ht + hyperref + mwbk + secnumdepth issue

Sylwester Arabas puszcza-hackers at gnu.org.ua
Wed Jun 18 09:23:32 CEST 2014

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
        Originator Email:
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

an issue related with the mwbk document class. The failing code is:

\documentclass{mwbk}
\usepackage[tex4ht]{hyperref}
\setcounter{secnumdepth}{0}
\begin{document}
\section{bug}
\end{document}

HTH,
Sylwester

------

Sylwester,
I think it's a bug  that should be fixed in mwbk.4ht.
(probably also reported as such at
https://puszcza.gnu.org.ua/projects/tex4ht/)

Tracing down the error, I see that \mw at normalheading macro gives  trouble.

\newcommand*\mw at normalheading{%
  \if\mw at HeadingBreakBefore \hrule\@height\z@\nobreak
     \else \addpenalty\@secpenalty \fi
  \addvspace{\csname \mw at HeadingType @preskip\endcsname}%

The condition is TRUE if section is numbered, and FALSE if section is
unnumbered.
In latter case \addpenalty is excuted and gives error if section is not in
vertical mode.
(and most probably hyperref's hooks introduce code that puts section in
horizontal mode).

possible fix in mwbk.4ht:
\let\:o:mw at normalheading\mw at normalheading
\pend:def\mw at normalheading{\def\mw at HeadingBreakBefore{00}}

This fix  sets  the if statement to be always TRUE.
Another possible fix would be redefine \mw at normalheading macro
dropping first two lines (I assume that these two lines are irrelevant to html
output)

MWE for testing:
\documentclass{mwbk}
\usepackage{hyperref}