[tex4ht] How to make table of contents use correct settings of \setcounter{tocdepth} for \tableofcontents ?

Nasser M. Abbasi nma at 12000.org
Sun Aug 11 03:59:00 CEST 2013

A little bit of progress, but no solution yet.  I thought I update
in case someone can help with this last part.

I found a way to remove the section entry from the main tableofcontents
(on first page) so that only chapters show up, like this:

1. chapter 1
2. chapter 2

Before it was like this:

1. chapter 1
    1.1 section 1
2. chapter 2
    2.1 section 1

This is good, which is what I wanted. The problem is that this
solution now removed section and anything above it entries from
the local table(s) of contents that I had in each chapter later on.

I am not able to figure how to get that back.

The trick is to use \ConfigureToc{section} {} {}  {}  {} BEFORE
issuing \tableofcontents.

Here is the current version of MWE. I am not able to find what
configuration option to tweak. There are simply too many configurations
and hard to know what each one does and where it acts and what it does
as there is minimal documentation and examples. So it is all done by
trial and error.

htlatex foo.tex "htm,2,notoc*,info"

-------------------------
\documentclass{report}%
\usepackage{lipsum}
\setcounter{tocdepth}{0}
\setcounter{secnumdepth}{4}

\begin{document}

\title{test TOC with tex4ht 2}
\author{me}
\date{\today}
\maketitle

\ifdefined\HCode  %to prevent section showing up in main TOC
\ConfigureToc{section} {} {}  {}  {}
\fi

\tableofcontents

\ifdefined\HCode
%----> I need to do something here
%----> to make section show up in local TOC again, how???

\TocAt{chapter,section,subsection,subsubsection}
\fi
%-----------
\chapter{this is chapter 1}
\lipsum{1}
\section{this is section 1 under chapter 1}
text
\subsection{this is subsection 1 under section 1 under chapter 1}
text
\subsubsection{this is subsubsection 1}

\chapter{this is chapter 2}
\lipsum{1}
\section{this is section 1 under chapter 2}
\end{document}

--Nasser