[tex4ht] future support for multicols in htlatex?

Nasser M. Abbasi nma at 12000.org
Fri Jul 12 08:08:43 CEST 2013

About 3 years ago I asked about the use of multicols in htlatex

http://comp.text.tex.narkive.com/bx3C8X9N/is-it-possible-to-have-table-of-contents-be-in-2-columns

I am writing this to ask if there are any plans for adding support
to this in htlatex.

I know this feature is still not official W3C item, but like many new
things in HTML5 and CSS3, many browsers now support many of these
features

http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-multicol/
http://caniuse.com/multicolumn

For example, when I write this in Latex:

-------------------------------
\documentclass{article}%
\usepackage{lipsum}
\usepackage{multicol}
\setlength{\columnsep}{20pt}
\setlength{\columnseprule}{0.01pt}

\begin{document}
\begin{multicols}{2}
\lipsum[1-10]
\end{multicols}
\end{document}

The pdf has 2 columns, but html does not.

So, now I end up using tabular to simulate 2 columns, but the semantics
are not the same as multicols or using \documentclass[twocolumn]{....}

I am just wondering if there are plans for the future to
add direct support for multiple columns in htlatex without the
use of tabular.

thank you,