[tex4ht] environment "{align}" translated into "<inlineequation>"

Matteo Gamboz gamboz at medialab.sissa.it
Wed Apr 17 10:15:17 CEST 2013

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 10:37:01PM +0530, Radhakrishnan CV wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 7:24 PM, Matteo Gamboz <gamboz at medialab.sissa.it>wrote:
>
> >   it seems that the environment "align" from amsmath is translated
> > into an <inlineequation> when htlatex is run as:
> > $ htlatex x xhtml,docbook-mml "-cunihtf" ""
>
> I did the same with the following command:
>  htlatex x 'xhtml,docbook,docbook-mml'
> and I got,
>   <para></para>
>   <!--tex4ht:inline-->
>   <inlineequation role="block">

I get the same, but I think that the element "<inlineequation>" is
wrong for two reasons:

1. the element is intended for "A mathematical equation or expression
occurring inline." [1] but it has been generated by a latex
environment that produces display math

2. the xml file is not valid against docbook 5.
To do the validation I use emacs with nXML mode and docbook.rnc (and
relax ng schema files from http://www.docbook.org/xml/5.0/rng/)

[1] http://www.docbook.org/tdg5/en/html/inlineequation.html

If I use a configuration file such as:
--- a.cfg ---
\Preamble{xhtml,docbook,docbook-mml}

\Configure{align}
{\DviMath}
{\EndDviMath}
{}{}{}{}

\begin{document}
\EndPreamble

and compile
htlatex x a

the resulting xml might be more accurate and valid.

Please note that the solution I'm proposing is incomplete, as I'm not
taking care of paragraphs closures and equation numbers (tags), and
maybe other things :-)