[tex4ht] The need for STEM braille materials (slightly OT)

Paulo Ney de Souza desouza at math.berkeley.edu
Thu Oct 27 02:40:12 CEST 2011

  Thanks! This is quite helpful in gauging the need. I have some
resources that I can place in a project like this one, but I need to be
able to justify it - no insult meant... but I should have sent it only
to you rather than the list - there are probably no-one (in the list)
here that can gauge the need, as well as you. I did not ask for the
sizes in order to be dismissive, I asked so I can't justify it to the
best I can.

I do know DSP here in Berkeley very well and have interacted with them
in many occasions... but that does not help me know the numbers of
interested people.

It is shame that there are no Braille drivers for TeX. In the beginning
of the 90's when there was a driver for every printer/screen/computer
around the world, it seemed that one was going to pop up any day. It is
also a task that does not seem very complex, but people that understand
way more than I do would have to be consulted here.

TeX4ht may not be the best forum for this one, I don't think that
technically (even given Eitan's interest, more on that later) there is
much of a symbiosis going between tex4ht and a Braille DVI driver. At
the same time, there is quite a bit of work already done in the subject
and one can find litter all over the web:

http://www.cs.usask.ca/faculty/eramian/Pubs/cs490.ps

  http://userlab.usask.ca/GOTHI/Jurgensen%20-%20Powers.pdf

TUG supports many specific project development and this is certainly one
that is well worth it. Some TUG directors read this mailing-list, but
this is better brought up with them directly.

On the specific issue of the ArXiV. Has anyone ever brought up this
issue with them ? They do have moneys and some of it strictly dedicated
to the issue of accessibility.

Paulo Ney

PS. The more I read about how Braille works, the more I get convinced
that the right way to do it would be to insert micro-pieces of
information on the DVI file that would guide the translation, and the
more I understand why Eitan was interested - this was his court!

--
Paulo Ney de Souza
University of California, Berkeley