[tex4ht] validity of tex4ht HTML-code output

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Thu Jul 28 11:10:03 CEST 2011

Am Thu, 28 Jul 2011 01:24:04 -0700 schrieb Johannes Wilm:

>>> What I wonder though is what the state of the HTML that is being output
>>> really is. It seems to me specifically that:

>>> a. almost none of the <p>-tags are closed

>> Use the xhtml-Option I mentioned earlier.

> Ah, yes that's probably what I should done to start out with. Now when I
> switch html for xhtml, it somehow breaks my SVG-fixing script. I didn't know
> that the html-option would produce partially invalid HTML, as it seems.

It doesn't produce invalid html, it produce html 4.01:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"

Which is different to xhtml which would get with the xhtml option

http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/text.html#TSpanElement

> I guess everything is currently changing, like

> bibtex -> biblatex

bibtex is an application and biblatex a package.

The transition is more

bibtex + natbib or bibtex + jurabib or bibtex + some bib-style ->
bibtex + biblatex or biber + biblatex.

> pdftex -> luatex
> 8 bit -> utf-8
> PDF -> EPUB

these are formats for very different purposes. pdf is a page
description format, while in ebook/web-formats text can be easily
refloated.

> PNG -> SVG

PNG is a bitmap format, SVG a vector format. How would convert a
foto to a vector format?

> Kile -> LyX

I will certainly never use LyX, and I don't any TeX/LaTeX/context
expert who considers such a step.

--
Ulrike Fischer