[tex4ht] unicode and lualatex

CV Radhakrishnan cvr at river-valley.org
Sat Jul 23 08:39:20 CEST 2011

On 07/23/2011 10:17 AM, Johannes Wilm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On the attached test file I tried to run
> /
> /
> /dvilualatex unicode.tex/
> /dvilualatex unicode.tex/
> /dvilualatex unicode.tex/
> /tex4ht -f/unicode.tex -cunihtf -utf8/
>
> I cannot figure out as what the characters are encoded in the output,
> but it doesn't seem to be utf8. Output has been attached.

Can your example produce a valid dvi? In my tests, it didn't. TeX4ht
needs a valid dvi to generate html. Actually the post-processor called
tex4ht (binary) extracts the textual characters from the dvi by making a
clever substitution which is based on the *.tfm of font used and *.htf
(hypertext font). The post-processor needs *.tfm which unfortunately is
not available for unicode fonts and then it falls back to cmr. The
resulting html file will not be usable owing to unicode characters
appearing as junk.

If somebody comes forward with a patch to tex4ht binary which can
post-process dvi without the help of *.tfm's will be a great
contribution. The macro package level patching is easier than the binary
level patching. Volunteers are welcome.

--
Radhakrishnan

"It's today!" said Piglet.