[tex4ht] dvilualatex and tex4ht

Johannes Wilm mail at johanneswilm.org
Thu Jul 21 02:02:20 CEST 2011

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 4:06 PM, Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> wrote:

> tex4ht maintenance is already nearly impossible (as you've seen since
> we've failed to make a release since Eitan's death), we aren't going to
> duplicate even more information.

I am a bit confused as to what the "masterplan" for future html (and with
that mobipocket/epub) export is for luatex. Borders has just closed and most
of the remaining physical book stores seem to be heading in the same
direction. I cannot imagine that there will be much of anyone left
interested in only PDF-output, without the option of turning it into one of
the formats for ebooks.

As I understand it, with lua-code it's either already or will shortly be
possible to "catch" most of the output that it produces and divert it to
some other output format. I haven't quite understood why, but for now
ConTeXt apparently first also produces a DVI-file which it then analyses and
produces the html of, much like this project, but it seems as if the
Lua-code should be able to catch it much earlier than that... in which case
it should also work with LaTeX.

In short: If the capability to produce html-files is rolled into the
laluatex-binary (+ macropackages), then maybe it's OK for TeX4ht to just be
on maintenance status and slowly die. But if this is not the case, then it
seems that either LaTeX will be quit irrelevant very shortly or that TeX4ht
would need to be updated to work with laluatex.

--
Johannes Wilm
http://www.johanneswilm.org