[tex4ht] dvilualatex and tex4ht

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Wed Jul 20 10:46:33 CEST 2011

Am Tue, 19 Jul 2011 18:08:17 -0700 schrieb Johannes Wilm:

> after having played around a bit, it seems to me that the biblatex related
> error comes from me using the "biblatex-chicago" package, and probably
> tex4ht's magic around biblatex simply doesn't get applied.
>
> As for the unicode errors, they all look like this and show up several
> times:
>
> (/usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf-dist/tex/generic/tex4ht/html4.4ht
> ! String contains an invalid utf-8 sequence.
> l.20370       {
>                �}{ą}

html4.4ht contains non-ascii-chars and is 8bit-encoded. So luatex
doesn't like it (luatex expect utf8). You can try to save an
utf8-encoded html4.4ht version in a local tree in \tex\luatex\tex4ht
(or \tex\lualatex\tex4ht). Then luatex should pick up the
utf8-version and normal tex the other.

Btw: It would be useful if you always add a small example for test.

>> we have been using lualatex for a few months now. . I wondered if anyone
>> had experimented with running tex4ht with dvilualatex?

I tried a bit but didn't reach something conclusive yet (and I don't
have currently the time to do more). The main problem imho will be
with fonts: As long as you use the "normal" tex-fonts with tfm + 256
characters everything is fine. As soon as you use fontspec + system
fonts you will run into problem as the dvi will contain reference to
non-existing tfm's and -- more importantly -- to char numbers way
above 256.

You can see some discussion about it here
http://tug.org/mailman/htdig/luatex/2011-June/002923.html

--
Ulrike Fischer