[tex4ht] tex4ht: how to do block quotations

Irshad Alam mim786 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 06:55:00 CEST 2010

dear radhakrishnan:

ThANks for your help. Its working, I can convert the files to html following
your directions.

Let me recapitulate what I did: 1. I put \usepackage (Tex4ht) in the
pre-amble of a.tex 2. then ran "htlatex a" from the command prompt 3. then
viewed the a.html file, in my case, using my IDE Kile

Now I've a new question, how to translate the \emph or \textit? because when
I run latex the DVI file does show it emphasized but the html file is NOT
emphasized.

Im running Linux Ubuntu using the IDE Kile

my sample file is

\documentclass{book}
\usepackage{tex4ht}

\begin{document}

What to do when one seeks to follow the sufi path and reach God? One may
learn from the personal experience of the Mujaddid. He writes in his
monograph \textit{Mabda' va Ma`ad}\index{books!\emph{Mabda' va Ma`ad}}
about how he started his own sufi journey.
\begin{quote}
When I experienced the desire for this path, divine grace (\textit{ilahi})
(SWT) took
me to a caliph of the family of the \textit{khwaja} hazrats (qaf). It is
from there
that I attained the tariqa of these masters and I clung to his
companionship. [Mabda' 1, 3.1-4]\index{Naqshbandi tariqa!Mujaddid starts}
\end{quote}
Yes! In order to attain Allah, one must attain the companionship of an
authorized deputy or \textit{khalifa} of any of the sufi tariqas and learn
from him.

\end{document}

when I LATEX it and view the DVI file, yes those words are italicised, but
when I htlatex it and view the html file, none is italicised.

so how to get it italicised in html?

Irshad Alam
Khadim (servant) of Naqshbandi-Mujaddidi Sufi Tariqa
Author of books on-Translations/Notes from the Maktubat-i Imam-i Rabbani,
Rumi poems, Muinuddin Chishti sufi poems
Berkeley, California
www.sufipeace.org
www.meetup.com/Berkeley-Sufi-Center