[tex4ht] \bigl. and \bigr. sometimes cause problems.

Beuthe, Thomas beuthet at aecl.ca
Mon Sep 13 22:51:38 CEST 2010

UNRESTRICTED | ILLIMITÉ

>If you can't request your viewers, you might think about delivering
>the same from the server side.  There are many choices like jsmath
>(http://www.math.union.edu/locate/jsMath), MathJax
>(http://www.mathjax.org). In fact, TeX4ht has a jsmath option and a
>'jmlatex' script is provided to generate html pages with math in
>jsmath compatible format. jsmath and MathJax allow to keep math in
>LaTeX format in the html page and to dynamically process and render
>with Javascript.

Both of these are excellent ideas, and I would really like to implement
them, but when I think about the hoops I would have to jump through
to get our IT guys to implement this stuff on our servers, I have
to abandon the idea right there and then.

Great products though.  Thank you for bringing them to my attention.

>I have created an html page from your example sources and is available
>as an archive at:
>
>  http://download.river-valley.com/cvr/mathjax.zip
>
>which has thomas.html, thomas.css and mathjax.png. The last one is a
>screenshot of the page as rendered in my laptop.
>
>MathJax is easy to setup, you need to add a few extra lines in the
>header of your html page to load MathJax.js.  It can also process
>MathML and render irrespective of any browser. No special fonts,
>plugin, etc are needed at client side. I think, it best fits your
>scheme of things.

Thanks for your time here.  These look really well rendered.
Unfortunately I'm again stuck between a rock and a hard place again,
having virtually no control over either my server or my client side.

>It might be better to approach the image problem in a different way.
>What we do at work for some STM publishers is to write out all the
>math (inline and display) to a separate TeX file, create dvi (separate
>page for each inline or display math), use dvipng to generate png or
>gif in a breeze. This saves a lot of hassles associated with the
>current picmath setup. Maybe one day, we will find time to include
>this feature as an option into TeX4ht once the documentation project
>is reasonably finished.

Now this is a neat idea.  This sounds very close to what is done in
the picmath environment.  Or am I misreading something?  Are the png
files created statically or dynamically?  Wait a minute, I think I see
what the difference is.  You are completely segregating the math
to a separate dvi file rather than picking through the document
one thing at a time.  I'll definitely be interested in this when you
have it fit for public consumption!

>Wikipedia uses a custom program to generate images. I doubt, if it can
>process really complex math.

I see.  A more stunted sort of LaTeX/Tex then.  But they are definitely
using the cm fonts there!

>People should make use of MathML, enormous number of manhours have
>been expended on the development of MathML which has many advantages
>like archiving, voice rendering, assistance in cop-paste operation,
>reuse data in other applications like Mathmatica, hyperlinking math
>elements, etc.

I'm sure this will be the way to go eventually, but for really
complicated stuff, it still falls short in myopinion.  Like I said,
I tried running my document through mzlatex, but the results really
weren't all that readable.  Perhaps I was doing something wrong...

Thanks again for all of your time.
This is interesting stuff!  It's neat to get a glimpse of where the
leading edge of the browser world lives!

Thomas

CONFIDENTIAL AND PRIVILEGED INFORMATION NOTICE

This e-mail, and any attachments, may contain information that
is confidential, subject to copyright, or exempt from disclosure.
Any unauthorized review, disclosure, retransmission,
dissemination or other use of or reliance on this information
may be unlawful and is strictly prohibited.

AVIS D'INFORMATION CONFIDENTIELLE ET PRIVILÉGIÉE

Le présent courriel, et toute pièce jointe, peut contenir de
l'information qui est confidentielle, régie par les droits
d'auteur, ou interdite de divulgation. Tout examen,
divulgation, retransmission, diffusion ou autres utilisations
non autorisées de l'information ou dépendance non autorisée
envers celle-ci peut être illégale et est strictement interdite.