[tex4ht] Choice of LaTeX -> *ml method for all browsers?

Beuthe, Thomas beuthet at aecl.ca
Tue Aug 24 16:42:50 CEST 2010

UNRESTRICTED | ILLIMITÉ

Karl,

(Please find enclosed a zip file containing the contents of an
"example" directory that contains the files and runs I will be referring to.)

Thanks for answering.

I also had no real explanation for why TeX4ht would not be producing the
images of the math, so I went looking for an example.

I found one, and I am including it under the directory "Original".
This example was obviously run on *nix, not windows.

I then took the .tex file and ran it again myself, on several Windows systems,
including Windows XP, Windows XP X64 and Windows 7 64-bit version.
You can see the results of the XP X64 version in the directory marked My_version.

The .log and .lg files match perfectly between the two different runs.
From what I can see, my run seems to indicate that it is creating the appropriate .png files,
but they never seem to show up in my directory.

I tried copying in the .png files from the original run
as a test and then everything displays perfectly,
so the hooks all seem to be in the right places in the html file I created.

I have no idea why TeX4ht is erasing(?) the png files, but it looks like it is.
I took the step of copying the messages produced from the actual run, and included them
in the on_sceen.txt file in the upper level "example" directory.
If you look in there, you will see that there are commands that say things like:

System call: if exist tex4httest0x.png DEL tex4httest0x.png >nul

...for example in the following sequence:

t4ht.c (2009-01-31-07:34 kpathsea)
t4ht tex4httest
  -ec:/tex4ht/texmf/tex4ht/base/win32/tex4ht.env
(c:/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/tex4ht/base/win32/tex4ht.env)
Entering tex4httest.lg
System call: if exist zztex4httest.ps DEL zztex4httest.ps >nul
System return: 0
System call: if exist tex4httest0x.png DEL tex4httest0x.png >nul
System return: 0
System call: dvips -E -Ppdf -mode ibmvga -D 110 -f tex4httest.idv -pp 1 > zztex4httest.ps
This is dvips(k) 5.98 Copyright 2009 Radical Eye Software (www.radicaleye.com)
' TeX output 2010.08.23:2154' ->
<c:/texlive/2009/texmf/dvips/base/tex.pro>
<c:/texlive/2009/texmf/dvips/config/alt-rule.pro>
<c:/texlive/2009/texmf/dvips/base/texps.pro>.
<c:/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/public/amsfonts/cm/cmr12.pfb>
<c:/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/public/amsfonts/cm/cmr8.pfb>
<c:/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/public/amsfonts/cm/cmmi12.pfb>[1]
System return: 0

Strange.  Now if I search the entire TeXLive 2009 directory files for
the key "if exist", I find only one instance that might be connected to
TeX4ht in the file:

C:\texlive\2009\texmf-dist\tex4ht\base\win32\tex4ht.env

perhaps a misguided

 Gif exist %%3 DEL %%3 >nul

or something?

Before I get too far into the tex4ht.env file,
I figure you probably are more familiar with it than I am,
so I included it for your inspection in the upper level "example" directory.
Is there something that's messing up in there that is
causing it to erase my .png files?

Or is the use of "convert", being confused with the dos command:

C:\>help convert
Converts FAT volumes to NTFS.

CONVERT volume /FS:NTFS [/V] [/CvtArea:filename] [/NoSecurity] [/X]

  volume      Specifies the drive letter (followed by a colon),
              mount point, or volume name.
  /FS:NTFS    Specifies that the volume is to be converted to NTFS.
  /V          Specifies that Convert should be run in verbose mode.
  /CvtArea:filename
              Specifies a contiguous file in the root directory to be
              the place holder for NTFS system files.
  /NoSecurity Specifies the converted files and directories security
              settings to be accessible by everyone.
  /X          Forces the volume to dismount first if necessary.
              All opened handles to the volume would then be invalid.

C:\>

That is mistakenly being used?
If I include the next few lines in the screen output after what I included above,
it looks like this:

System call: convert -trim +repage -density 110x110 -transparent "#FFFFFF" zztex4httest.ps tex4httest0x.png
Invalid Parameter - "+repage"
--- Warning --- System return: 4

Is this supposed to happen?:

Invalid Parameter - "+repage"

I'm at a loss, but I'm hoping you can help me further...

Thomas