[tex4ht] TeX4ht information

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat Jan 9 01:13:09 CET 2010

Hello Dr. Milanese,

    I am writing a book on LaTeX and friends (particularly LyX and
    XeLaTeX) in the field of the humanities.

Very interesting!  I wonder if you'd like to write something about the
book for TUGboat, when it is done?  (I also work on TUGboat.)  At least,
please keep me informed so we can mention it there.

    (1) Are you planning to support Xe(La)TeX in the [near] future?

It's something we'd like to do, but we have no timeframe for getting
something working.  Sorry.

    (2) I understand that the biblatex support is all right, correct?

As far as we know, with CVR's fixes, biblatex is ok.
We hope to make a new release with those fixes in the
not-impossibly-distant future.

    (3) Any plans to produce MS-Word documents?

No.  Supporting OpenOffice is hard enough.  We know very little about
Microsoft products in any case, and prefer to spend our time working on
free software projects.  So we are unlikely to ever undertake this
ourselves.

    Perhaps it's jut matter to add a filter in the script or is
    the transformation more complicated?

>From what I've seen, I would surmise that any programming involving
Microsoft turns out to be incredibly complicated :).

Best wishes,
Karl