tl-install restore period

Carlos linguafalsa at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 16:00:06 CEST 2024

On Thu, Apr 18, 2024 at 12:10:11PM +0200, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Am Wed, 17 Apr 2024 15:24:33 -0600 schrieb Karl Berry:
>
> > Carlos, would adding ".html" make you happier? But still with a
> > period. Sentences end in periods.

lol. Not necessarily. Sometimes. Also semicolons, question and exclamation marks.

But the question mark would make the user hesitant to click on the link, and the exclamation mark would also give the user the false pretense that by following the link all the answers will be found and all the problems resolved

> >   ... via https://tug.org/texlive/doc.html.)
> >

> That wouldn't resolve the problem. My news reader auto-detects a
> link here too, and includes both the period and the parenthese in
> the link, and so I get a "Not found" from
> <https://tug.org/texlive/doc.html.)>
>
> Imho you have only two choices here:
>
> * leave it as it is. That would be fine with me. Wrong link guessing
> is quite common and if it doesn't work I remove the dot or
> parenthese or whatever and try again.
>
> * Make the link explicit by using as David suggested always <...>.

Yep.  But to leave it as is, it's just pretending is not there. Perhaps the html tags as David suggested. But you can't tell me it doesn't look tacky though. Heck. Html tags with a period after all finishing off the sentence.

I don't know anymore. Put it in plain text visit tug at org dot com forward slash texlive forward slash doc. But beware of the dot. It's a message from a script after all and it'll certainly come up through tlmgr.

But all in all, sorry for the noise Karl. My apologies.